Every day the Internet witnesses around 150 thousand requests for registering a domain name. Since no one can own a domain name forever, the overall flux fluctuates randomly, surmounting over 366 million domains.
Registering a domain name may seem both trifling and overwhelming. Therefore, we have curated a concrete guide on top of a few trivial mistakes to take care of for a smooth domain name registration.
What does registering a domain name mean?
A domain name is an alphanumeric word (ntsplhosting.co.in) mapped to an IP address (188.8.131.52) of a database machine. This mapping stays inside a phonebook-like system called Domain Name System (DNS). When one registers a domain name, they tell the DNS to point a unique alphanumeric combination towards an IP for a certain period.
In short, domain registration is the process of assigning an IP address to a name that is easier to remember and use in URLs. The registrant of a domain name is the individual or business that registers the domain name.
Why do you need a domain name?
Your domain name will offer you and your company a more professional appearance, which will help you succeed. Another purpose for a company to register a domain name is to safeguard its intellectual property and trademarks, establish credibility, promote brand recognition, and improve its search engine ranking. Having a domain name increases your company’s professional credibility and distinguishes you from the tens of thousands of websites that exist on the internet.
Now let’s see how and where one can register to a domain registration company in India.
How to register a domain name?
One can register a domain name with a domain name registrar. It can become cumbersome to ascertain a domain registration company in India with complete trust, as seldom it can turn out fraudulent. Many companies – fraud or honest – promise to provide domain name registration services with hidden policies that may put you into traps. Think of a few factors before picking one –
- What add-on services do you need a company providing domain name registration services to offer?
- What is the budget aligning to your business model?
- What are its domain transferring policies?
- Select a domain name – As soon as you’ve decided on a domain registration business, it’s time to look for a domain name that best describes the purpose of your company. In a domain name, you can use any combination of characters and hyphens, as well as alphabets and numerals.
- Pricing of Domain names – Domain names are priced according to their uniqueness, length, domain extension, domain name registrar, and branding potential. For example, CarInsurance.com values $49.7 million, Insurance.com $35.6 million, and Voice.com costs $30 million for a year. NTSPL Hosting offers domains starting at just Rs. 199.
- Deciding on a domain name extension – There are many various sorts of domain extensions available, and you must choose the one that best suits the purpose and type of website you intend to create. Here are some examples –
- .COM (commercial), .ORG (organization), .NET (network), .EDU (education), and .GOV (government). Some extensions are specific to a country. It informs its audience of its source creation. Generally, people go for the .com extension as it is accessible by anyone anywhere in the world.
- Domain Privacy – After registering your finally selected domain, you will have to provide a few contact details like address, name, phone number. These details will be visible to everyone accessing your IP address. To keep this information secure, you need to pay a little more. It shields your data from apparent spammers.
NTSPL Free Offering with Every Domain –
Once you register a domain, it becomes your property. If your desired domain name is available, you can typically purchase it from any service provider you like. Domain registrars like NTSPL provide services or advantages that others do not.
- Free Email Account
- DNS Management
- Free Mail Forwards
- Bulk Tools
- Domain Forwarding
- Domain Theft Protection
- Easy to use Control Panel
- 24 x 7 Valiant Support
This article pointed out some of the best practices to follow while registering a domain name with a domain name registrar. Keep this as your priority checklist, and everything must go as you wish.
NTSPL is a leading web hosting and domain registration service provider in India. You can securely register your unique domain name and enjoy a range of freebies. NTSPL provides an easy-to-use control panel and 24 hours support from hosting’s experts.